9.13.2009

"sometimes i fill (sic) like a figment of my own imagination"

The title is a quote from a little diary book that I bought my second or third day in VN because it amused me so much. It is the sort of thing--sort of like my new bedroom decorations--that I would never have at home. It has pictures of princess-y people in pink and baby blue (i feel like these colors are becoming a recurring theme? maybe I should change the background colors of my blog?), but what I love about it--why I was gasping for breath laughing in the store and had to buy it--is its spectacular quotes. Anyways, this quote is pretty much my life in a nutshell right now.

Example:

This (Sunday) afternoon, Anh Vang (my father-figure) invites me into the living room to watch TV with him. Sure, why not?
I sit down to observe his TV tastes--VERY LOUD salsa dancing. He is sitting on the floor, organizing the family's collection of DVDs. Chooses one and puts it in, starts it, turns the volume up, leaves. So I sit, by myself in this very trendy room in VIET NAM watching none other than "VH1 Divas Live in Las Vegas." Featuring Celine Dion, Cher, the Dixie Chicks, Shakira, Anastasia. All in ridiculous outfits, of course. Beginning with a rendition of ACDC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" by Celine Dion and Anastasia.

Really?!

So I sat there. I watched the whole thing. Laughed a lot. I may have sang along to a few select songs. And the whole time I was thinking, What am I doing here?!

Yeah, "sometimes I fill like a figment of my own imagination."

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! I have this feeling that quote is going to come in handy many times over the next few months :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAH!!!

    I KNOW WHAT YOU'VE BEEN THROUGH!!!

    Every time I go to some Vietnamese house with a TV, they always have the absolutely ridiculous shows on. Like fashion cat-walks or some singer in some weird language (non-vietnamese/english).

    When we visited some of Kim's family in HCMC I was put (literally "put") in front of the TV which was playing some orchestra (with a crazy pianist) and announced in some other language for at least an hour and a half (ALONE) while they took Kim and talked about stuff (or showed her stuff?).

    I think I'm just figuring it out now: they don't really use their TV's to entertain themselves, but more to show off. It makes sense, because they always have these flashy things on the TV (cat-walks? for over 2 hours? seriously?!) and the volume full blast (how do you even talk?!).

    ReplyDelete